Thursday, June 5, 2008
6-4-08
It was intersting today. Blake has developed the next stage of awareness which is good in a way. Except for he was mad all day. When we went in this morning after dropping my mom off at the airport, Erin and I walked in and his heart rate was over 200. He had his face down in the pillow while his tubes were still turned to the side where his head had been. He was squirming and kicking and pulling at his tubes. I tried to straighten his head back and lay it on its side but he cried and turned it back down. He was not happy at all. He was crying at the top of his lungs. I tried to calm him by giving him a passy, talking to him, holding his hand, his feet, everything and nothing worked. The nurse was over with another baby and told me to give him boundaries by holding my hands over his head and feet. I tried and he didn't want that either. I flipped him over and he had a dirty diaper so I changed it. That helped some. He pulled at all his tubes. The nurse came over when she finished and put him back on his side and tucked him in. We finally got him to calm down and he rested for all of 5 minutes. While sitting there the nurse told me that during the middle of the night he decided he didn't want his tubes anymore and he pulled out both his feeding tubes completely. So all that work they did to get the one back into his intestines the day before went right down the drain and they had to start all over. So after his whole five minutes of sleep, he decided he wasn't happy anymore and started throwing another fit. He ws so red from being mad. We decided to go ahead and she got him out for me to hold because we could not get him to call down. Once he got settled on my chest he calmed down and went right to sleep and rested comfortably. When I tried to put in his passy I could not find his mouth. I kept trying to put it in, but it wouldn't go so I asked the nurse to do it. We have to keep his passy in his mouth because otherwise the air that is going in through the cpap just goes right back out his mouth which is completely point less. So she tried and couldn't get it either. She pulled back the blankets and saw that he had stuck his thumb in his mouth and was sucking on his thumb. It was so cute it made me feel much better. He did good through out the day and they have gone up on his feeds. He did have another fit when I called a little while ago to check on him. She got him calmed down and he went back to sleep. The guys at Robs work took him golfing after they got off today. They saw he needed a break because he was about to have a breakdown he said. It made him feel so much better and I am glad he got to use that time to relieve some stress.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment