Thursday, June 5, 2008
6-5-08
So the doctor told me today that yesterday they tried to turn off the rate on the cpap to see how he would do. That is the part of the cpap that blows continuous breaths in case he forgets to breathe. He did not handle it very well at all and they had to turn it back on. They are going to try and reduce it next week to see if they can wean him off of it. He pulled out his tubes this morning and his nurse had fixed it and positioned him back on his side where is looked really comfy. He threw several big fits today. He is 2 lbs 11 oz. When we went back during the afternoon he was sleeping peacefully so I left for about 15 minutes and when I came back in he was starting to get fussy. I checked and he was wet so I asked his nurse who was messing with another baby if I could change him and she told me it was fine. I went to flip him and noticed there was brown stuff on his bedding by where his mouth was. I turned him on his back and saw that he had pulled both tubes out again and that everything that was in the tubes was now all over him and his bed. I wiped him down and changed him as quickly as possible. His nurse came over and I held him while she changed his bedding. With in a few minutes he threw up more stuff all over himself, my hand and the bed. It scared me because it was all dark brown which was old blood. And it was A LOT! I freaked out. He is not supposed to have that in his stomach. While she was showing the doctor he threw up again. The doctor came over and talked to me about it and told me that because he has been pulling his tubes out so often and they have had to replace them over and over, The tubes are probably irritating his stomach and that is where the blood is coming from. But the good news is it was old blood and not new. He told me they have to keep putting it down OD (into his intestines) because he does not handle the stomach one well and has more problems breathihng then. I was just still so freaked from how blood he threw up I started crying and felt so horrible because there was nothing I could do to help him or make him feel better. He kept gagging on what was coming up and she kept having to suction him. I left upset and calmed down after I takled to Robert. I know he was fine but it was just hard to see. So after I went home and rested, I came back up this evening to see and hold him. He did so great as usual when I hold him. He woke up for a while and then fell back asleep. Holding him made me feel so much better. By the end, he had slobbered so much his tape holding his tubes was coming off. That is how he is able to pull out his tubes, he lubes the tape up and then jerks them out. This time she tried to stick them back on before I put him back, but when I pulled him off my chest and put him back in his incubator, somehow his tubes came right out all over again. He had grabbed onto them and they were so slippery, they just came right out. So Erin and I devised a plan. Luckily we had some of his little socks with us, so we picked out the smalled pair, and stuck them on his hands. Now he has mittens on his hands and can not pull out the tubes. WE HOPE. My blood pressure has been sort of high today. I just called and he still has the socks on his hands, so it is working so far. I just hope he keeps them on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good idea about the socks! I keep up with you guys everyday. Glad to see that he is doing ok. I am still praying for you guys. He seems like such a fiesty young man! Good for him. Just like his Momma....lol.
Love, The Ullman gang!
Post a Comment