Monday, June 23, 2008
6-23-08
So not a good day today :( He began having a lot of A&B's this morning up through lunch. He also had a whole lot of residual in his vent tube which looked like medicine mixed with milk and bile. They did an x-ray to check the tube placement. It was in the right place so there was not a clear answer why he was having residual. They went ahead and advanced it a little further in his intestines just to be safe. The doctor went ahead and ordered for his cpap pressure to be turned down to 7 to see if it would help. Maybe he was getting too much air in his belly making him reflux. It seemed to work and he did better through out the day and only had one A&B. I wasn't able to hold him till this evening because he was not stable enough. His doctor will be back tomorrow but the one there today talked to me for a while. He said he is a little worried because Blake has stopped growing and actually lost 20 grams this week, where he was supposed to gain around 200 grams for the week. He is hovering between 3 lbs 5 oz and 3 lbs 6 oz. The doctor does not want to make any decisions and wait till Dr. M comes back tomorrow. He said that many doctors feel strongly about different ways to promote growth. They are already adding additives to his milk but they can add more. The question is how much. If they give him too much, he will develop an infection in his stomach which can be fatal. It is not a good thing at all. So the question is how much is too much for him. We will see what his doctor says tomorrow. They are also having me try and split my milk from the first part of the pumps and the last part of the pumps. Apparently the second half of the pumps is the fattiest part of the milk and they want that seperate to try and put weight on Blake. I did get to hold him tonight for 30 mins. He was awake for half of the time. I gave him his bath after that where he fussed at me for getting him wet. OH I completely forgot. Last night I got to hold Blake for 2 whole hours. Of course my arm was numb by the time I put him up. He did so great and his temp went up while I held him. That means he was warm and cosy. They worry about his temp dropping when he is out of his isolet bc he can not yet hold his own temp at a normal level. He had a great day yesterday, so we don't know what changed to today, but his evening was a lot better. I guess it was just his two steps forward, and one step back. We will see what the doc says tomorrow when he takes a look at Blake and his chart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am wearing my little star and saying lots of prayers for you and our baby. Dad and I send love and hugs. Mom E.
I am sorry he is having such a rough go of it. I pray for wisdom for the doctors to figure out the problem and the solution. He is such a cutie, and I had a great time visiting with you and meeting Blake. Thanks for letting me tag along to the NICU with you.
2 STEPS FORWARD AND ONE STEP BACK IS STILL GOING FORWARD! THAT WAS SWEEEEEEEET THAT HIS TEMP WENT UP WHILE YOU WERE HOLDING HIM.STILL THINKIN BOUT YOU ALL AND PRAYIN.
LAB PATI
Keep your chin up Mommy! God hears our prayers and he's getting quite the earfull!
-Sara P.
Post a Comment