Friday, June 6, 2008

6-6-08

He was in a very fowl mood again today. Today was shot day and we do not like shot day. He got both his shots today, the vitamin A and the one for his bone marrow to help produce red blood cells. So he was pretty much pissed off the entire day. I went to see him around lunch and held him. When I talked to the nurse during the morning she said it might help if I came in and held him because he was so upset, so I did. This evening my brother John came in to stay with me because Robert has to work this weekend. Blake had 7 Bradys (A&B's) yesterday. That is a lot considering he had gotten to where he was only having one to two a day. He had a lot today as well. I felt so bad that Blake was making the nurses work so hard that I made them cookies and took them up there for them while they were closed doing shift change. When I got there this evening he had just gotten suctioned and was getting upset. We got him ready to hold and thought we would try to wrap him up and hold him the normal way instead of kangroo care. He did so great the last time we thought he would again this time. Yeah so wrong. He wouldn't stop crying and was so upset. Then he started building up tons of saliva and started choking on it, so the nurse suctioned him but he just kept spitting up and choking. His tubes were also building up water which was making it hard for him to breathe. I asked if we could flip him and just do kangaroo care and she agreed that would be better because of how much trouble he was having. He calmed down once we got him on my chest. His oxygen fluctuated the entire time. Right when we were getting ready to put him back up, he started d-satting majorly. His oxygen level dropped down into the 40's so the nurse turned his O2 up. He wouldn't come up so she kept raising his O2 until we got all the way up into the 60's on the cpap rate. Now he should be at 21 which is room air. I kept patting him and trying to get him to breathe. I pulled him off my chest and he was completely limp as a noodle and not breathing. I immediately opened up my shirt so the cold air hit him and began rubbing his chest to annoy him to make him cry hoping he would take a breath. He finally started crying and we got him to a level that allowed us to move him back into his incubator. Once I placed him in his bed, the nurse got straight to work trying to get him stable. He had slobbered so much his tape on his tubes came off and he knew it so he pulled one tube back out and the other part way out. I think he got them out twice today. Go figure. He had two bradys while I was holding him and then again when we got him in his incubator. The nurse thinks the first two were from when his tube was coming up and it irritated him. So I tried to help the nurse by holding down his hands and legs because he was so mad and she was trying to retape his tubes. He had two brady's while she was doing it, one was short and the other was over 60 seconds, which for a baby is a long time. We stimulated him and tried everything and we couldn't get him to breathe and bring up his heart rate. Some other nurses were watching closely to make sure he came out of it. They were ready in case he didn't. He had a really hard time pulling out of it. But he finally did and the nurse flipped him over and got him settled into a comfy sleeping position. So I of course left there crying and upset which then raised my already high blood pressure. Then we left, my brother put his arm around me to let me know it would be ok. It was just so hard seeing him struggle as much as he did and be so limp in my hands.
I just called and checked on him and he is doing much better and is resting comfortably. Today has just not been a very fun day overall. I pray tomorrow will be better. No shots this weekend so I hope he feels better and will be happier.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I am sorry you are both having such a rough go of it the last few days. He is such a fighter, and I pray he continues to get better. Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

HANG IN THERE! HE IS SUCH A LITTLE FIGHTER. MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.