He had a little bit of a hard night after I left. I ended up not going back up last night because I was tired and Rob told me to go to bed. lol. As of 10 this morning, Blake has had 8 bradys (A's & B's) since midnight last night. The doctor called and told me that he started Blake on Azithromycin which is a low dose antibiotic which is also used to help clean out the stomach. Since he was having so many bradys within short periods of time, they increased his rate on his cpap from 20 to 30. I went in around lunch and held him. He was wrapped up like a little burrito and the nurse had changed his little outfit because he had spit up all over the other one. This outfit was so big on him but cute as can be. He high satted the whole time I held him and did a great job.
So I went back to the RMHouse to rest and got another call from his doctor around 4 pm (which is not good to get more than one call a day). He said Blake was having a bad day. Since 1 he has had 6 more brady's. That is 14 total so far. He said Blake was not acting like himself at all and was constantly de-satting and having apnea spells where he stops breathing completely. Some of them would last a whole minute of him not breathing (he still gets air from the cpap machine but it does not fill his lungs completely. He has to do that himself.) So they stimulated him constantly and turned up his oxygen and finally got him to breathe on his own again (well with help from the cpap of course). His doctor stood at his incubator for about 45 minutes watching him closely. His doctor said that they don't know why he is doing this and he might be developing a new infection. He decided to take him off his feeds completely, start him on an IV with fluids and nutrients to replace his food, and they took a blood sample. They are going to run a CBC and a culture to see if any infection grows out of it. They also put in a catheter (how they have one small enough for that little guy is beyond me) to draw urine and check for a urinary tract infection. His temp was low in the 97's earlier and later this evening went up to 99.5 He is not wearing clothes anymore because of his IV and they need to be able to see his chest and belly. They stopped all his other meds and started him on two strong antibiotics. Whatever is wrong with him, his body is not liking it at all and it is showing in his actions and breathing. I went back up this evening twice and held him this last time. I held him really close to me and he snuggled up and high satted the whole time. Oh they have turned his cpap rate up even more to 35 breaths per minute. He really likes to be swaddled and held. He looks so big in the pictures swaddled but it is all blankets. He is still so tiny....and adorable!
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a gorgeous little fella!!!! I love that fuzzy hair! Janna, I think you get more beautiful with each picture, it looks like motherhood is definately agreeing with you. As for Blake's apnea spells...I think he is just holding his breath because he is mad that you covered his hands so he can't pull out his tubes anymore ;) Take care, and remember everything will be fine! He is one feisty little guy (look out when he is teenager) Much love and many prayers!!!
Jenn
Post a Comment