Saturday, May 10, 2008

5-10-08

This is just not a good day. I have not felt good all day. So the doctor is not releasing me today. My blood pressure is still up even with the meds. They are going to watch it tonight and then decide if he wants to up the dosage or not or try something new. The good part of my day was all my family came to see me. I got to see my aunts and uncles and cousins. They did not do Blake's bath until 11:30 last night and even then it was a fast and furious one. They didn't even take off his hat. He was having a hard time breathing last night so they had to do it quickly because he struggles when he is on his back. Then the leads wouldn't pick up when they reattched them and they had to mess with them for about 15 minutes so I was very nervous the entire time. Oh and I guess his nurse was new because she had the charge nurse helping her the entire time and asking questions on what to do next. Robert and I were so sick to our stomachs because of it. She seemed to be knowledgeable in all his readings and everything just not on the protocall of how they do things and in what order. The good side to that is that they must have enough faith in Blake's stability that they would put a new nurse with him. I don't think she is new to nursing, just probably new to the hospital. Atleast I hope she isn't new to nursing. She was very sweet though and I had faith that God would take care of him and also knew that the charge nurse for the night was around at all times. Needless to say I am sure my bp was high as could be when we got back to the room so my nurse decided to wait to take it till after I had slept some. Guess that didn't make a differnce because it stayed elevated through the night and today even with all my meds. The doctor is going to try another round of Lasix to try and get rid of some of the fluids on his lungs because he still has a lot. The last round did not work but he said it might have been due to he was getting a blood transfusion at the same time. He is gaining about an oz every day and is at 1 lb 12 oz. He is also up to 8cc's of milk every three hours. The doctor also said that he is going to try and focus on developing Blake's growth because that will help with his lungs. It won't cure the fluid retention, but he does not want to mess with his cpap anymore or put it deeper in his esophagus because it can damage his lungs. He also does not want to give him too much lasix because that draws out his sodium with his urine and he would loose too much weight. So we are kind of at a stand still for now and it is just a waiting game. If there are any changes this evening I will update, otherwise I will just wait till tomorrow. I hope everyone has a great weekend. Thank you again so much for all your prayers and comments. I read all of them and it makes me feel so appreciative of all the friends and family that care so much. I know this is stupid but I am so worried that after a while people will begin to stop praying and that we will be forgotten about. I have seen that when something happens so suddenly the focus is on that issue for a short while and then it drifts away and people move on to other things. I just ask that not so much for me but for Blake everyone please keep him in your prayers. He will be here for another 12 weeks at least and still has a long way to go. Thank you thank you thank you for everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know y'all are in our prayers. Janna, I'm going to tell you what Addison's NICU doc told me...get your rest! He reminded me - YOU JUST HAD A BABY! That alone is very traumatic to your body. Now you have a little one to worry about, plus some. However, if you don't take care of you, then you can't take care of Blake. That is an even worse feeling. My bp stayed high for a while afterwards also (what do they expect, your baby is in the NICU!). Have faith, get your rest and take care of yourself (it isn't selfish, it's just necessary). Also, don't worry about the medical bills. God won't give you more than you can handle (plus, that's what insurance is for). Ask about medical charity/assistance, now, while you are in the hospital. Later, you can negotiate your bills (Shane and I will give you the details later - we're in the process right now). Just take care of you, Robert and Blake. Remember, we're thinking about y'all (and praying). Let us know if we can help with anything. We've been in a very similair situation. God works miracles and we have faith he'll work one for y'all! God Bless, April, Shane, and Addison
Remember, everything happens for a reason.