I went to see Blake this afternoon and got to hold him for almost an hour. He did so good. He was awake for a little bit and then went to sleep and slept soundly and calmly on my chest. His oxygen level stayed in the 80's and 90's the entire time. He didn't get upset till we took him off my chest. He wasn't happy about that. The doctors changed one of his meds that he gets. Before he was getting doses of caffeine daily because his body did not have enough, but they have changed it to another medicine that does the same thing as caffeine but also helps the lungs develop some. He has been doing good today on the continuous feed. This morning they took an x-ray and his tube had not yet passed into the intestine, but then this evening the next one they took showed it was starting to enter the intestines. That is good because they want it in the intestines so that the milk goes directly there and does not build up in the stomach and cause reflux and aspirations like it has been doing. He gained another ounce and is at 2 lbs 3 oz. and getting bigger every day. It is so crazy how he is still so tiny but to me he looks so much bigger. This evening when I saw his oxygen was at 26 which is good. He has been between 28-35. The closer we get to 21 the better. We want to be at room oxygen which is 21. Right before he got suctioned, we changed his diaper and he went through three diapers. Every time we go to change him he starts pooping. This time he didn't and was trying to so his nurse took an oxygen tube and put it up near his booty to allow air to blow on him. Apparently it is for "stimulation" of his "sphincter" lol, yea it was pretty funny. It worked and he started pooping, but I felt so bad for him because his little bottom is so raw and once he started he did not stop for a while. She would get him cleaned and we thought he was done and would put on a new diaper, and oops here comes more. I was scared that I would hurt him by cleaning his bottom because it was so raw so I let the nurse clean him. While she was doing it, he was really calm and relaxed. He kept trying to open his eyes, but the lights were bright and hurt his little eyeballs, so I put my hand up to where it blocked the light from his face and he opened his eyes and just looked at me while I talked to him. Once we finished, he got suctioned by the RT and then he went right back to sleep when she flipped him back on his tummy. All that work wore him out.
I forgot to say that yesterday I had my checkup with my doctor and he said I have to stay in the wheel chair for at least one more week but most likely it will be two. I have to keep taking my meds for another two weeks and then stop cold turkey and see if my bp changes in any way that day. If it does I have to call him immediately no matter what. But that is not for another two weeks so I am hoping I will be more stable by then. My bp was a little higher this morning and I felt really bad all day. It got better in the late afternoon but went up a little this evening. I am probably just tired. I am having to get up early to pump and get on a schedule but then can't fall back asleep so I am tired. I did get a short nap this afternoon so that helped. The doctor also told me that I can start wearing high heels, but I can't walk around in them....what is the point lol. I have to stay in the wheel chair with them on.
Through this blog I have heard from so many people from high school, to college friends to people I just haven't talked to in sooo long. I really appreciate all the support and prayers and love that I am able to be in touch now with all my friends from the past. Thank you all so much for taking the time to contact me and leave wonderful comments and messages. I wish it was under better circumstances, but God does everything for a reason.
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment