Sunday, May 18, 2008

5-17-08 GREAT NIGHT!






Wow I thought today was going to be uneventfull. Boy was I wrong. He had a good day with only a few apneas. Nothing much happened this afternoon. We came back and the Ronald McDonald house was having a fundraiser where 32 bicyclists rode 100 miles for the charity and arrived here where they blocked off the parking lot and had a bbq, bounce house for the kids, fire department, many many people and volunteers that were getting tours through out the house as well as a caricature artist who by the way drew me and Rob and it looks nothing like us...lol we look like really sexy super heros. I will have to take a picture and put it on here. So this evening we went back to see Blake expecting a really quiet night. When we got there he was sleeping and his nurse asked me if I had gotten to hold him yet. I told her just inside the incubator. She said that she was going to try and get an order from the doctor for me to be allowed to do the kangaroo hold (where you sit in the chair and just hold the baby. No rocking or rubbing.) Skin on skin thing to get them used to touch. She was going to try and get it for the next night. His nurse is the same one he has had on the weekend nights since he was born....wow can you believe he is 3 weeks old already. Anyway, her last night is tomorrow night because her husband wants her to work closer to home. Blake is the last preemie she is going to have because the babies she will work with from now on are full term babies. So she said that he will hold a special place with her. Luckily for me she brought her camera. Go figure the one time I leave my camera at home is when I need it the most. She pulled down the sides to his bed and raised the top and took tons of pictures with us and Blake. She is supposed to email them to me so I can have them to post and print. I thought that was going to be the highlight of my night. The doctor that is working this weekend walked by and she said she was going to ask her if it would be ok for me to do the kangaroo hold at some point this weekend. So she asks and the doctor tells her yes he is stable enough right now that if we wanted we could do the kangaroo hold. So I am thinking yeah tomorrow I will get to hold him. I can't wait right. His nurse looked at me and said well we have approval and he is doing good, do you want to do it now? OMG!!! I was so excited and so nervous. So I got to hold him for 30 minutes. Longest 30 mins of my life. lol. I was so nervous but had do keep calm so that he would be calm and ok with his oxygen sats. Rob had to hold his tubes and I had to hold him just right. I had to strip off my shirt to nothing accept my nursing bra which I had to pull down and put on my hoodie so I had some warmth and she put him on my chest and wrapped him up in blankets and my jacket. I had to sit just right so that his tubes would not move around. If they did he started de-satting so I would have to adjust so he was ok. Rob and I worked together to make it all work. He only de-satted really low one time where she had to turn up his oxygen levels. The rest of the time he was either high satting or normal...most the time closer to normal. Needless to say I did my best to keep calm so he would be ok, but it was so hard because everything had to be just right. I think I was more in shock than anything. She did tell me that I will get to hold him again tomorrow as long as he is doing ok. He opened his eyes a couple times to look at Robert and then went back to sleep while I was holding him. After my time was up and his nurse put him back in his incubator, Robert got to change his poopy diaper. He gave his daddy a nice big present. Rob is getting good at changing him. lol he better get in the practice. There will be plenty more where those came from. That just completely made my night. I was late getting back and taking my meds so my bp was high but i checked it 30 mins and then 1 hr after and it went back down to normal so everything is good to go. This has been a great night! Oh and I think he is going to be a cottom top. He still has some brown and blonde hair mixed together, but his eye lashes and eye brows are white blonde and he is getting in normal blonde hair on his head. Just hope he doesn't keep both brown and blonde...well he would have his own original highlights if that happened.

4 comments:

marilyn b said...

0
Hi Jenna, Robert and Blake,

The photos of you holding the baby actually brought tears to my eyes. I can't even begin to imagine how you must have felt at that moment.

Thinking of you often,

Marilyn B (GCMC Lab)

Anonymous said...

Hi Janna and Robert!
That must have been so exciting to get to finally hold baby Blake. We have been praying for you guys. Mel and Mike Porter

Candice Ronshausen said...

congrats!! I am so happy that he is doing so well! Continuing prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hey Janna & Robert!
John just told me about your blog today, ugh!, so I've been reading everything from the beginning. I'm so glad you and Blake are doing better. Sounds like you have a little fighter on your hands! Isn't that love for your baby the most amazing thing in the world?! You always hear people say that, but you don't really get it until you experience it yourself. Amazing! Keep loving on that baby and he'll get big and strong before you know it. We're praying for you guys daily.

With Love,
Sara, John & Paige